Strengthening gender-based social inclusion for resilience and sustainable peace
The project “Strengthening gender-based social inclusion for resilience and sustainable peace in the Sahel and the Eastern regions of Burkina Faso”, funded by the Austrian Development Agency (ADA/OEZA) in partnership with UNICEF and national partners, aims to reduce gender inequality through education and social protection. The project is composed of two components: 1) Child protection: Protection of 16,000 adolescents aged 10 to 19 (girls and boys) in 320 villages; 2) Water/sanitation and hygiene (WASH): Promotion of girl education (through improving menstrual hygiene management) and improve out of school girl’s knowledge on menstrual hygiene management in host communities. Several activities will be implemented, such as public awareness and media campaigns, advocacy, sensitization at community level; vocational and literacy training; provision of menstrual hygiene management hygiene kits to school girls; and the provision of scholarships and learning kits to girls at risk of child marriage in post primary school in order to maintain them in the school system. The programme will contribute to the Government’s strategic vision of development, sustaining peace and security and human rights, and is aligned with the National Socio-economic Development Plan (PNDES) 2016-2020, the African Union Agenda 2063 and the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Promote gender equality with an emphasis on empowering adolescents, eliminating child marriage and supporting the continuum of education for girls (preschool, primary and post-primary).
- Protect children (girls and boys) aged 10-19 in 320 villages;
- Promote the education of girls and improve the knowledge of girls who dropped out of school, on menstrual hygiene in host communities.
- Improved access to drinking water and sanitation;
- Elimination of open defecation and promotion of good hygiene practices in communities, schools and health centers;
- Strengthening of the political and legal framework around child protection;
- Improved access and use of protective services among children at risk of, or who are victims of abuse, exploitation and violence, including in emergency situations.
18 months : 15/12/2018 - 30/06/2020
The project is implemented in the Sahel and Est regions of Burkina Faso.
The project targets some 44 500 direct beneficiaries, including 16 000 adolescents aged 10-19 years.
UNICEF and ADA/OEZA work in close collaboration with national partners in charge of social protection:
- Ministry of Women, National Solidarity and Family; Permanent Secretariat of the National Council against the Practice of Excision (SP-CNLPE); General Direction for Promotion of Gender and Family (DGPFG);
- WASH: Ministry of Water and Sanitation (at the national level and with the Regional Directorate of Water and Sanitation in the Sahel Region); Ministry of Education;
- National NGOs (MWANGAZA ACTION, CCFC and Cinéma Numérique Ambulant – CNA)
- International NGO: WaterAid.
- Burkina Faso
- Local actors & livelihoods
- Social affairs & social protection
- Water & sanitation
- Children aged under 5 years
- Pillar 1: Improve social protection for the most vulnerable communities and households in order to secure their livelihoods